Friday, December 28, 2007

Help! I've Lost My Voice

I was assigned to lead worship in GetReal 2007 Youth Camp. According to the schedule, I would lead on the first night, then followed by the final 2 sessions.

When I was approached for the job, my first reaction was, "Okay, this time don't blow it... I must control myself from shouting too much during the camp."

You see, for the previous few instances when I led worship for camps (youth camps especially), I would have no more voice at the final session, where normally it would be the most powerful and anointed.. The camps would be too much fun, and I just can't control myself from screaming and shouting during the activities.

So, this time I have been reminding myself over and over again... "control!". Everything went well on the first day of camp. I was so prim and proper... such a good boy and well behaved. Then we went for our first worship session... and during the fast songs itself, my voice cracked. Probably the songs were too high, probably because I was over doing it. Oh well... There were still 2 more days before my turn to lead again... Perhaps I can recuperate by then.

Still no good! For the next 2 days I can't even talk properly. I led devotion times in the morning, telling stories to some BB boys, and they can hardly understand what I said... my voice was so cracked! Oh God, help!

Then came my first worship session. Situation didn't get any better, I can't sing that much, and the worship session went... emm... okay, could be better. I was not that satisfied, but it's an offering to God anyway.

On the next day I was getting concerned. My voice was still cracked and I can't speak properly. I need God to help me! I quickly grabbed Alisha to pray with me, and remembering one of Ps. Prince's messages, we did holy communion there in the canteen. He mentioned that Jesus' body was broken so that ours may be made whole. And then I went on to bed, can't do much, just have to trust God.

On the next morning when I woke up, the condition still haven't improved. I had breakfast and did devotion again, and still no voice. Worship session started, still the same, but this time I was determined that I will worship God nonetheless. Voice or no voice, I'm still going to enjoy the worship...

And then it happened... halfway through the worship session, I found that my voice was okay. Wow! I thought to myself, this must be God... I tested my voice cautiously to sing some higher notes and, I can do it. Towards the last song, I thought to myself, this is already the last song of the last session, let's do it!

At that last song, I went on a really high note, and encouraged the youths to really give all out to worship God. It was an intense time of worship... i don't know about the rest, but I definitely enjoyed it very much. It was such a fulfilling and satisfying experience worshipping God.
Praise God for his healing!

1 comment:

michsue said...

praise God for His divine intervention then... ;) eh, i'll give u ur Christmas gift at da bbq at shawn's place next week, okie? =D tell pui lee that, too... cheers!