Monday, January 7, 2008

Man + Word Unite!

The other day I was watching this Chinese drama serial. One of the characters jovially explained to his friends that the reason why he was so good in his golf was because he will sleep hugging his golf clubs every night... and therefore resulting in his "man-and-golf club united as one" state!

I thought that was funny and didn't think much about it, until last night when I was just smiling to myself while thinking over that joke. I suddenly began to think, what would happen if we Christians can reach a state of "Man-and-Word-united-as-One"? That would be interesting, I thought to myself.

So, I decided to do some research into that thought. The first passage that came to mind is the passage where God gave Joshua a "briefing" on how to do well in leading the people of Israel into the Promised Land:

"Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." (Joshua 1:8)

The next passage that has something similar to say:
"...But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." (Psalm 1:2-3)
Very interesting! Two different passages talking about what happens if you meditate on God's word day and nighthow: you will be successful and prosperous in "whatever we do" .

Imagine with me, how wonderful would it be if we can be successful and prosperous in whatever we do? We practically don't have to think much or worry about which course to take, which job to take, etc, because it really doesn't matter because whichever path you take will lead you to success. We will just enjoy life, worship God, literally walk into successes after successes without much worrying or struggling.

All this is very exciting for me. Since early this year I have been memorizing the book of Proverbs (18 verses so far), and that was exactly what I have been doing... meditating on it day and night. My aim is to memorize it at least once through chapter by chapter. Doing it together with Alisha makes it all the more fun, since we can recite it to each other and encourage each other. (Thank God for a girlfriend who shares your passion for Jesus!)

I am very excited to see how all these will turn out... I don't know how, but I know deep inside that 2008 is going to be a great year. For me, this year is going to be "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not be in lack... surely goodness and love will pursue me all the days of my life".

No comments: