Sunday, February 3, 2008

Teaching Morning Devotion - Boot Camp

I was approached to lead a morning devotion session at a Boot Camp which is designed as a welcoming to the new recruits of 4th Kuala Lumpur Boys' Brigade. The date is on 2nd February 2008.
The Boot Camp is a 2-day camp, and the participants will mostly consist of lower secondary students aged between 13 to 15, numbering about 30 members. The venue will be in a classroom at St. Gabriel's School, Kuala Lumpur. Their English proficiency will be rather low, so I intend to speak to them in Malay.
I prayed and asked God for wisdom, for his guidance to show me what topic I should be teaching on. I was only given slightly over 1 day to prepare, so I suppose it should be a "ready-to-go" topic, since I can't have much time for research or preparation of props.
Most of the participants will be hearing bible stories for the first time in their lives, so it must be on an easier to understand topic. Moreover, as it is an all boys audience, I wanted a teaching based on a more fast-moving and action-packed story of the bible.
As I was praying I felt that the Holy Spirit dropped an idea on what to teach. I was excited!
So I went to teach that morning. It went some 10 minutes overtime (I was allocated 30 minutes), but on the overall I was happy with it. The campers responded very well, and we had a fun time together. Some of the campers who started out with their eyes closed and napping, presumably due to lack of sleep, also join in attentively later on. I enjoyed the session, and I thank God for the opportunity to share God's word to these youngsters.
The text of the teaching is outlined in my next post.

No comments: