Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Measure of Wisdom

I have been reading, memorizing and meditating on the book of Proverbs for some time, and quite regularly for about 2 years now.

I particularly like Proverbs because I seek to have more wisdom in my life. Okay, I'm interested in the benefits of having wisdom, because "Long life is in her right hand, in her left hand are riches and honor." (Proverbs 3:16)

After some time meditating Proverbs, I should have improved by some measure. I wondered, "but by how much? Can I consider myself a wise person now? How much progress have I made?"
Then this verse came to mind:

"15Look carefully then how you walk! Live purposefully and worthily and accurately, not as the unwise and witless, but as wise (sensible, intelligent people),
16Making the very most of the time [buying up each opportunity], because the days are evil."
Ephesians 5:15-16 (Amplified Bible)


Actually there is a way to find out the measure of our wisdom.

This passage tells us that if we are wise, we will:
  1. Live purposefully and worthily and accurately.
  2. Make the very most of our time.

So, if we want to know how wise we are, one way is that we can start by checking how we are spending our time. How much of our time is spent purposefully, worthily and accurately, or are we wasting time?

As for myself, this is a particularly important lesson. Lack of discipline in this area is a great concern for me personally. In this year of 2008, one of my major areas that I hope to improve is my management of my time.

I have set it one of my main goals in my resolution. However, I do not want to make it as if it is by my self-effort. I know I can't achieve it on my own. (I know, I've tried) My approach this time is that my year 2008 resolution will be my declared intention, but I will rely on the Holy Spirit to guide me to it.

No comments: